Future Faculty Fellow
Job no: 508560
Position Type: Staff
Location: Boston Main Campus
Categories: College of Arts, Media and Design
Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning. Our world-renowned experiential approach empowers our students, faculty, alumni, and partners to create impact far beyond the confines of discipline, degree, and campus.
Our locations—in Boston; Charlotte, North Carolina; London; Portland, Maine; San Francisco; Seattle; Silicon Valley; Toronto; Vancouver; and the Massachusetts communities of Burlington and Nahant—are nodes in our growing global university system. Through this network, we expand opportunities for flexible, student-centered learning and collaborative, solutions-focused research.
Northeastern’s comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs— in a variety of on-campus and online formats—lead to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Among these, we offer more than 195 multi-discipline majors and degrees designed to prepare students for purposeful lives and careers.
About the Opportunity:
The Future Faculty Fellowship Program, a postdoctoral-to-faculty program, is now accepting applications from candidates in all disciplines represented at Northeastern University.
Northeastern University’s mission emphasizes translational research that addresses global challenges and enhances social wellbeing.
Northeastern University strives to create a vibrant and diverse community, characterized by collaboration, creativity, and unwavering commitment to excellence. Consistent with Northeastern’s mission, vision, and core values, the objectives of the Future Faculty Fellowship Program are to:
- Encourage and promote excellence and diversity in the pool of future faculty candidates
- Enhance opportunities for academic careers for persons from diverse backgrounds who have demonstrated a commitment to an inclusive faculty and an inclusive academic experience for all students
- Enhance the academic environment of Northeastern by providing opportunities for students and faculty to gain experience in multi-cultural, broadly diverse and inclusive work settings, and research collaborations that improve the capacity of all their members
The Fellowship Program introduces Northeastern’s academic community to postdoctoral researchers who are considering faculty careers and prepares Fellows for possible tenure-track appointments at Northeastern.
The Future Faculty Fellow will:
- Perform basic or applied research of limited scope, appropriate for a one-year appointment, using primarily existing theories and methods
- Maintain the laboratory (if utilized)
- Supervise supporting research staff as relates to the research project
- Present at least one research seminar or colloquium to the Northeastern University community and one at a national or international conference during the academic year of the Fellowship. These presentations may be virtual.
The Fellow may conduct the research project(s) in collaboration with the Northeastern University Principal Investigator(s) of the host lab(s). Fellows are especially encouraged to pursue independent research.
Fellows are encouraged to participate in grant proposal writing, as well.
Note: The appointment generally does not extend beyond one year and does not require teaching.
Frequency of Responsibilities:
- 65% - Assist in initiating, executing, and completing research experiments, studies, and/or creative works
- 20% - Prepare and write research papers, presentations, and grant proposals
- 10% - Manage research/laboratory
- 5% - Train and supervise graduate and undergraduate students
- Have completed their Ph.D. no later than the start of their fellowship term and no earlier than four years before the start of the fellowship term
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the US
- Newly awarded Future Faculty Fellows may not be a currently employed Northeastern University postdoctoral scholar or Ph.D. student.
- Cover letter, including a proposed start date
- Statement (2-4 pages) describing in detail how the applicant’s academic, employment, personal experience, achievements, and career goals demonstrate a commitment to the program objectives described above
- A complete curriculum vitae
- A research proposal for the Fellowship year (3-5 pages)
- At least three letters of recommendation from faculty outside Northeastern
- Letter(s) of commitment from Northeastern University faculty member(s) who will serve as mentors and hosts. As an applicant, you can identify and contact Northeastern faculty members and request a letter of commitment or contact the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs in the college for a recommendation. See the ADVANCE office website for more information.
Applicants are asked to submit all materials online through the Northeastern Human Resources application system with letters of recommendation and commitment sent directly to email@example.com. Incomplete submissions will not be reviewed.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University’s commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend