Job no: 503592
Position Type: Staff
Location: Boston Main Campus
Categories: NU Police Department
Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning. Our world-renowned experiential approach empowers our students, faculty, alumni, and partners to create impact far beyond the confines of discipline, degree, and campus.
Our locations—in Boston; Charlotte, North Carolina; London; Portland, Maine; San Francisco; Seattle; Silicon Valley; Toronto; Vancouver; and the Massachusetts communities of Burlington and Nahant—are nodes in our growing global university system. Through this network, we expand opportunities for flexible, student-centered learning and collaborative, solutions-focused research.
Northeastern’s comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs— in a variety of on-campus and online formats—lead to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Among these, we offer more than 195 multi-discipline majors and degrees designed to prepare students for purposeful lives and careers.
About the Opportunity:
The Northeastern University Police Department engages the community through a comprehensive program of police, emergency management, international security, crime prevention, emergency medical, and related public safety services to promote the conditions by which Northeastern University operates as intended throughout the world. The Department operates under the tenants of Procedural Justice and believes in continuous active engagement with members of our community, to prevent crime and increase the quality of life for those we serve.
Click here to see what it means to be a member of the NUPD family.
Click here to see an overview of the University’s comprehensive benefits package including educational incentives, comprehensive medical coverage, retirement plans, and fitness/wellness programs.
- Receive emergency and non-emergency telephone calls
- Determine the nature, location, and priority of requests and dispatch appropriate resources in accordance with established procedure
- Enter, update, and retrieve information from a variety of computer systems
- Disseminate mass emergency notification alerts when necessary
- Monitor radio traffic, security alarms, fire alarms, and video security cameras
- Provide referral services and victim resources
- Research, collect, analyze, document, and disseminate public safety intelligence
- Undergo initial training and maintain knowledge through continuing education
- Other duties as assigned
- High School diploma or GED equivalent
- Massachusetts Driver’s License
- Willing to work varying shifts and flexible hours, including weekends and holidays
- Will be required to pass a comprehensive background check, drug screening, and psychological exam
- Strong written and oral communication skills with an aptitude for problem solving and customer service
- Ability to exercise discretion, use good judgement, and act quickly in emergency situations
Mandatory Job Requirements
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- One or more years of relevant experience
- A valid U.S. Driver’s License
- CJIS certification within six months of hire
- APCO certification within six months of hire
- Candidates must pass a criminal background check
- Candidates will be subject to a drug test and psychological exam
- Must currently possess, or must achieve within first three months; CPR (BLS/HCP) certification
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and quickly synthesize information
- Ability to remain calm, stay focused, and utilize sound judgement in rapidly evolving, stressful emergency situations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills, typing skills, and ability to learn new software
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people
- Has a professional phone manner and a service mentality
- Is team and goal oriented
- Ability to exercise discretion in handling confidential information
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- This position is an essential personnel position which requires working in a variety of situations including during holidays, weekends, day/evening/night shifts, overtime, and in a state of emergency
- Requires frequent phone-interactions with people, dealing with regular interruptions, periods of concentrated attention, handling multiple concurrent tasks, frequent deadlines, and the criticality of task success
- Required to wear department issued uniform while on duty
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Former dispatch or law enforcement experience strongly preferred
- Call-taking experience preferred
- Experience in a higher education setting preferred
Selection Process: The selection process includes a computer-based exam as well as an interview process. Once initiated, the selection process is expected to take approximately 3 months. If at any point during the selection process a candidate is notified that they are not moving forward, the candidate is encouraged to reapply for a future position. The position will remain open until filled.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University’s commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend